SSC plane weight

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

Slowfly

SSC plane weight

Post by Slowfly »

I am a newbe to combat, flew in my first SSC event at our field in Sherman TX last Sat. Had a great time everyone was very helpful thanks to all. Only flew 4 rounds due to a previous commentment but I had 2 cuts, 2 rounds with a complete streamer, and 1 mid air! Back to my question, how tight is everyone holding to the 40oz min? My plane is comming out at 44oz should I try to loose the 4oz or is that close enough? The plane flies good but would loosing 4oz make it more competitive? Agian thanks to all that helped me out at the contest with tips and advice, looking forward to the next event in Lucus. Regards Paul S.
Papabear1

Post by Papabear1 »

Paul, I judged for you once at the end. Had the green Michigan State shirt on. I'm new as well so take that into account, but both of my Avengers are closer to 3lbs. than 2.5lbs. From what I gather so far (thanks Evan) it's more about getting to know your plane. I would say worry about getting used to your plane, how it flies, what it can and can't do etc. so that flying it becomes second nature then you will have a base to compare the smaller stuff. Try that under hand launch, It may not seem like it, but it is easier. Hope to see you at the next event. Sure was a blast.
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Paul:

It sure was good to have you join our little "gang" last weekend. From my observations, 4 oz isn't going to make a significant difference. From watching Evan, Lee and the other guys who ALWAYS come out on top, it's really about tactics and knowing your airplane, and being able to put it WHERE you want it, WHEN you want it there. As long as your aircraft is reasonable in performance and RELIABLE, you'll not be at any disadvantage. Of course, you don't want to have extremely overweight airplanes, but it's not necessary to fight for every ounce. Practice is more important. WELCOME and see ya in Richardson next month.
Papabear1

Post by Papabear1 »

You would be surprised how many Michigan Alumni I have run into down here because of that shirt. I bought it for $.89 because a store was going out of business. I'm Wearing a Yale shirt as we speak. LOL
boiler

Post by boiler »

As to the weight question, I'm over weight so I don't want my planes to be.[;)] I try not to sacrifice durability for weight. If you're running good weight isn't much of an issue but if you have a poor run it is critical. Now as for shirts, OHIO STATE or PURDUE would look great.[;)]
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

A 2.5 poundplane is a lot easier to get where you want it when you want it there than a 3# plane. Build one really light and try it.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Being new to SSC also. I have noticed that a plane that is 2 1/2 flys alot better than one at 3 lbs
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

the Last ssc planes I built were right at 2.5 and I really like them alot, Lighter is Better
NeilD

Post by NeilD »

Lighter is better of course when you are thinking about speed, especially in a spec class. This is my first year to fly combat too Paul. I flew the Red, White, and Blue Mustang with Bruce. My goal this year is to learn to fly combat well, get use to the rules, and have a plane that will last 5 minutes with all the mid-airs we seem to have here in N Texas. I mean we do fly with Bruce "the ninja" Blevins and David Turner (just kidding guys). My planes are all a little over weight, but since I am not trying for that #1 spot YET, I am not worried about it. I say as long as it is not trying to stall on loops or turns, if you can get "in the action," and if you are having fun run what your brung (as we would say when racing R/C sprinters in Garland). Then in the off season re-tune your planes to be right at the minimum weight.
NeilD

Post by NeilD »

Hey Bob saw you in the AMA magazine this month, looking good man. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun too. When are we going to get to see you her in N Texas again?
boiler

Post by boiler »

I usually start the season there at the LSN.
THend

Post by THend »

Helium bladders work wonders too!

I think the SSC birds are too fast now and too agile...might be time to bump up the weight and knock down the rpms... or just remove the engines all together..[;)]

[:0][:p][:D] Just kidding folks...
jpmorere

Post by jpmorere »

Low weight is good but is not critical. For combat weight affects (in descending order) turn radius, climb rate and speed. Speed IS the least affected of these - the level speed difference between planes of 2.5 and 3Lb (all else being equal) is small enough to be almost insignificant. If you are looking for a speed advantage, an aerodynamically clean airframe is far more important than weight. My 48~49 oz. Trident was the equal of any other SSC plane in everything but extended climb. I can only imagine what it would have been like if it was the minimum 40 oz.!!! Alas, it is the victim of my conversion to electric power and has been replaced by the simpler, lighter and aerodynamically less clean LongStick (LS).

J.P.
cosmo64

Post by cosmo64 »

Weight is not the big issue...know your plane and its limits..I fly battle axe's which are heavier than the coro mig's I fly against and the migs can out loop me, but since I know the axe's limits well I am competitive in all the events...Fly..Fly and Fly some more...
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Paul and Brandon,
Since you will be flying with some of the BEST Combat Pilots.
Listen and learn...[;)]
Every pilot has a different prep routine, Every pilot builds different.
And we all set up our planes different.

And NOTHING flys better than a NEW PLANE...[:D]
If your flying Avengers, Evan has GREAT ideas and is very helpful.

Just get use too your planes and know there good and bad points.