A Stronger Engine Pod For Flying Wings (with pics)

Share your secrets for building safe, durable planes that kick butt!

Moderator: hbartel

o1moregil

A Stronger Engine Pod For Flying Wings (with pics)

Post by o1moregil »

Just a little reenforcement with a little weight added.[:)]

this is a weak part on most of the flying wings (Makos, First Gen of Falcons, and the Russian wings I fly today), hop this helps beef up the tounge a little[:p].

have you tried this? or something like this?
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

BTW the piece thats stick out by the te is where I mount the Vertical Fin
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

the tongue on the front was a weak point on all the Russian Wings that Brian built/flew last season. Someimtes a perfectly good wing would be "totaled" by the breakage of the tongue at the LE. I fashioned a repair that adds a bit of weight but a lot of strength- I took 1/4 ply endcap extrusion from Lowes, cut a pair of six inch sections, sharpened one end to a chisel shape on all three sides using a belt sander. Put the wing in a vise with the TE/fin mount pointing down, and pounded the rails in from the top with a rubber mallet. If you drive the rails in on a slight angle toward the CL of the wing, they will follow the ply crutch all the way down. they pound in pretty easy. Leave about an inch or so of rail hanging out, and use an HDPE or ply plate inserted into the rails to mount the engine.
THend

Post by THend »

I can't see your images, but we have a Mako front end dialed in and it is tough. Been in enough midairs and it does very very well..
ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

Take a look at:

http://pfcombat.hyperboards.com/index.p ... pic_id=184

to see how the MakoMK2 pod goes on. No more decapitation deaths.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

geez those things are cool! i love the front end construction, a lot of great ideas there!
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Pete, Terry, the new updates on the Mako look very Good (I like it!), the idea of making an all hdpe pod was in my head for a wile, but I don't think there's a good adhesive for hdpe.
THend

Post by THend »

At the first Double Dip at Fallbrook, in Round 1, Pete and I tangled real hard.. I was flying the last of my first generation Makos and sure enough... snap off went the front end. Pete was flying the new MKII Mako and he too lost the front end; however, by the next round he was in the air with the very same plane.

He had to replace 4, 1/4-20 nylon bolts and re-attach the throttle. He flew the very same plane for the next 3 rounds and took the contest.

I need to look at the images at home....work blocks them.
EK

Post by EK »

Gil, are you going to be at Texoma in December to try out those new, improved motor mounts? A couple of old guys, several new guys getting into B with eyes wide open. Bring some of those window decals, you'll probably get rid of a few.

edited because I can't spell
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ptsullivan</i>
<br />Take a look at:

http://pfcombat.hyperboards.com/index.p ... pic_id=184
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
So...do you guys sell the kits, or do you just like dangling them in front of our eyes, like a juicy steak? [:p]
madmarl

Post by madmarl »

Are there plans for them??? hmmm??? [:p]
ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

Ahhh the kits question.... we get that a lot. All I can say is that kits are coming but due the fact that
Terry, Butch, and I all have full time jobs, family responsibilities, etc. etc. it has been a slow process.
We have done a few kit runs in the past and are getting close to a point where we could sustain continued
availability, but we are not there yet. We don't give away plans but have allowed others to copy it so
long as they keep the name and say where they got it. It's not like you could stop someone from coping it
even if you wanted to.

Enough of a thread hi-jack.
I would not mind seeing the rest of the plane that Gil has hanging from that mount.
THend

Post by THend »

I really need to get my equipment up and running with the new mods..

Been working forced OT, and by the time I get home...I'm cooked. I've got the desire to go to the garage... but that is as far as it has been getting lately..

TH
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

after seen the new Mako pod, In feel I did Nothing to mine[:I]
THend

Post by THend »

We've switched over to 12 ply Finnish Birch for the tongue, which really isn't a tongue anymore..

Even if you kept your design, you'd see great improvement with stronger ply...but it will still be the weak link in the setup.

I'm interested in the two color foams you got going there.. one is obviously Dow Blue, the other?? Epp or just 1 lb white?

Also, when you guys cut a wing with two different foams, are you cutting them together at the same time or two different runs? I'd think the heat required would change between the two foams.

Just curious... been thinking of EPP alot lately..again..