FW-190 Maiden Flight

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

FW-190 Maiden Flight

Post by Ed Kettler »

The latest creation from Texas Flugwerks graced the beautiful North Texas skies today on its maiden flight. The plane flew without trim adjustments and was very smooth. Some minor tweaks will be made to increase the elevator throw and adjust the wing mounting, otherwise it was a very successful maiden. This version has is powered by a OS 25FX, and a second version will be electric.

ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

Is this a one-off? or is it ready for kitting? (perhaps somewhere in between?)
It looks beautiful and I want one.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Thanks for the kind words, Pete. It is the prototype for the kit. I'll let you know when we get ready for first production orders.

We've had outstanding weather all week, and I was torn between building and flying, so I worked some overtime to get the butcher bird ready while the weather was great (high 60s and 5 mph breeze with mostly sunny skies), and I was glad I got out today. Very rewarding[:D]

Ed
boiler

Post by boiler »

Nice looking plane Ed. Keep us posted.
Splash 1

Post by Splash 1 »

Very nice indeed[:p]
Monhty

Re: FW-190 Maiden Flight

Post by Monhty »

My favorite warbird!

What have you used for covering the fuselage?

Monhty
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

White packing tape, scuffed and oversprayed with flat white Lustercote paint to dull it down. I am pretty close to flying its twin, which uses electric power. Waiting on a couple more parts.
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Very NICE bird, ED...... :wink:
You guys may get me to do some scale again... :shock:
Frank S
RCCA # 843
Parker, CO.
http://www.airscharnell.com
Lee Liddle

Ed`s Electric 190 has flown

Post by Lee Liddle »

I talked briefly with Ed last night and he told me that he has maidened this planes electric powered sister ship. Said he flew it twice with great results. The same performance, only cleaner. I`m sure Ed will supply some pics and details. Good job Ed!!!
TEXAS ROCKS COMBAT HARD!!!

Lee Liddle
RCCA #628

[img]http://idata.over-blog.com/0/35/56/40/texas_flag.gif[/img]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Will try to get some pictures later in the week, LSN at the latest (next weekend!!!!). I am going to be on the end of a shovel most of the weekend getting some major enhancements done at Richardson.

It looks substantially like the glow version (no kidding!), flight weight with a 4S5000 was 3 pounds 10 ounces. I flew the first flight to get the trims set (too much Up, a little roll), reset and flew again. The next two flights were simulated combat rounds, and the charger said average recharge of 4100 ma, so I guess we will be sticking with the 5000s. I need to enlarge the cooling holes as the battery was on the warm side. Motor was warm, ESC cool. Left my amp meter at home, so no draw figures. The control throws are exactly the same as the glow vesion. I tested the rpms after each run, and it was down 900-1000 rpm.

I also tested the electric SSC P-39 with the 4s2650 Turnigy 3536/1400, and flew three flights, so I will have baseline data for that as well. RPM drop was ~1000 after simulated combat rounds, batteries were just above ambient. Looks like we may have a winner, but I need to get them recharged to see if we need 3000s

Overall a good day at the field!

Ed
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!