Winter debrief

It may be a little cold for combat but there are other things to talk about.

Moderator: hbartel

AIM

Post by AIM »

Max wrote:Good to see that boy a huntin! Good job Aaron!!
Thanks for the "good job aaron" but Scott is the one really doing the work. 5 hour round trip for him where as I'm gonna hunt regardless.

I will say though that ever since my kids have grown and moved out. I had forgotten how pleasing it is to see a kids smile after a good hunt. I really do think that I should be thanking Eric and Scott.
AIM

Post by AIM »

Round three........

Scott brought Brian along for his first hunt. We had a great day and ended up with 6 rabbits. Brian got his first ever and then finished the day with 2. (Scott hasn't sent me the pic of Brians first rabbit yet)
Eric got 2. Scott and I both got 1.
AIM

Post by AIM »

The day started out kinda slow and VERY cold but once we got moved around with the wind to our backs we settled in for some decent action.
Look closely at Erics hand.
AIM

Post by AIM »

Once again I gotta give my dogs credit. They were responsible for jumping most of the rabbits. (although Scott proved a pretty capable dog with a very nice assist on one that got away)
Gunner and Tori give their all when it comes to hunting. Although they are in their twilight years for hunting they can put in a solid 3 or so hours before they are just to sore and beat up to go on. It takes them a few days to recover but after that they are ready to go again.
They hunt so hard that they usually look like they have been in a war. The thorns along RR tracks cut them up pretty bad. If only us humans could be that tough!
AIM

Post by AIM »

This time Eric, Brian, and Scott dove into their first rabbit cleaning. They all picked right up on it and with any luck I'll be able to just sit back and have a cold one while they clean em from now on.[:D]

If this pic is inappropriate feel free to let me know and I'll delete it.
AIM

Post by AIM »

When we were all done my wife Monica cooked us up the game we got 2 weeks ago. What a great way to end the day. Eating baked rabbit and pheasant and sittin around BS'n.
After such a big day my garage cats were even wore out.
AIM

Post by AIM »

Another highlight of the day was the rabbit that Scott WHIFFED on! This thing was runnin STRAIGHT away and he missed by a mile.

OK here's the story.
The dogs jumped this bunny down a deep RR ditch. It comes blasting up the bank to all four of us. We just happened to be in a group at that point. This bunny is bouncin around like a pinball not knowin which way to run. Finally it heads for Scott and quite literally passes him by 3 feet. It goes by him and runs straight away. Scott pulls up and BOOM! Rabbit keeps on runnin and we start laughin.
Kinda like combat for ya too Scott. (close but not quite close enough!)
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

i love you too, Aaron.....

Once again another great day hunting! And better exercise than flying r/c planes! (The quarry is better eating, too, than crepe or forestry tape!)

Thanks to Aaron, Monica, and the dogs for all the work to host us. THOSE POOR DOGS, they run their hearts out and get all cut up to help us out!

The rabbit and pheasant meal was AWESOME and the boys enjoyed every one of their many mouthfuls!

There have been times in my combat career when I have simply flown straight into the ground without a target streamer in the same zip code, just dumb thumbs. The shot Aaron refers to is similar, I could have thrown the shell (or the whole gun) at the bunny and knocked him out cold. I BLAME MY FULL CHOKE BARREL!!!! That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

THANKS AGAIN AARON FOR THE GREAT DAY!
AIM

Re: Winter debrief 2009

Post by AIM »

Just playing with the new forum. I like it.
Here is the pic of Brians first ever rabbit.
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

My wife has a house bunny, so I'm NOT showing her these pix! :shock:

Other northerners of us keep flying all winter. Here's a New Year's picture of my friend Darryl after we flew some slope on a beautiful 12 degree New Year's day. You dress right, warm up on the walk up the hill, and fly for an hour without landing or refueling. Fantastic way to start the year.

David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

You'd have to be really confident of you're flying skills to fly a completely white plane in snow! :D
"Tail end Charlie"
Criticize by contributing

Roy Appleton
RCCA# Ex-541
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Which_way_is_up wrote:You'd have to be really confident of you're flying skills to fly a completely white plane in snow! :D
We use audible lost model alarms, mostly for the summer flying where the sumac on the hill is 4-5 feet high. But yeah, Darryl's a pretty confident flyer. Even more, the underside of his plane is also all white, so I can never tell if he's flying right-side up or inverted. :?

Contrast this with the markings of my planes, and you can extrapolate my flying confidence :D :
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
AIM

Post by AIM »

What's the span of those???
They look pretty cool. I'd love to see the slope soaring thing.
How much of a hill do ya need?
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

AIM wrote:What's the span of those???
They look pretty cool. I'd love to see the slope soaring thing.
How much of a hill do ya need?
They both have wingspans of about 35", Aaron. The plane in the lower right is an Alula Evo, and the upper left is a Weasel Evo. With weights of 6-7 and 13-15 oz, respectively, IMHO they're the sweetest flyers in the air. They both come from Dream-Flight http://www.dream-flight.com

For some videos of what these planes are capable of in the hands of a superb pilot on a top slope, check out these videos of Dawson Henderson:

Here's the Alula: http://www.vimeo.com/7542178

and Here's the Weasel: http://www.vimeo.com/4768262

So Dawson's slopes are the edge of craters and bluffs in northern Arizona, near Flagstaff. Pretty much perfect sites, but these birds are flyable at a whole variety of sites, depending on the angle of the slope and the wind speed, direction, and obstacles. I fly regularly at two sites, one a 150' hill with about a 40 degree slope, and the other, a capped landfill that's about 75' high. I have gotten a 2 hour flight on the big hill, and, in good conditions and some thermal lift, can get 15+ minute flights on the smaller hill. The Weasel is better for higher hills and wind -- with the higher weight it penetrates into the wind better, and the Alula is better for light winds, and smaller hills. If you want to see other videos of flying these planes in various conditions, just search YouTube for "Alula" or "Weasel Evo" + slope.

Here's a link to a home video of my plane, and a couple of others on our "big hill": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai17RtCIxdg. Sorry, no fancy music...

If you can't tell, I'm really in love with slope flying. It's the purest style of R/C flight -- just you, the plane, and the wind, invisible thermals, and sometimes a hawk or falcon sharing the hill with you. Every flight is different, and every minute of every flight is different. It takes full concentration and ... oh yeah, if this is too boring for you, there's SLOPE COMBAT! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yTZ6iyb ... re=related :D

PM me separately if you want more info...I don't want to hijak your thread on Scott's bunny killing with my slope stuff. :wink:

-= Dave
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
boiler

Post by boiler »

Here in the flatlands we have an answer for our lack of slopes. The Parkzone Radian is RTF with your receiver and battery. It is used for soaring but you have an electric motor to get her up to where you can find thermals.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]