Wing design and foam cutters?

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

tfilemyr

Wing design and foam cutters?

Post by tfilemyr »

Thought I'd ask what wing airfoils most folks fly in 2548? I hear the venerable Clark-Y mentioned a lot, I even read the UIUC crew fielded an electric challenge with this airfoil and won big... who knew?

Also how is tip washout handled? It makes cutting foam cores a bit more rigorous but worth it? I remember on the 1/12th scale models it was more of a necessity.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

I quit CNCing combat wing cores three years ago but cut several hundred prior to that and all my cores where basically Clark-Y or maybe YH with no washout. The discussion of washout falls into two camps, those that believe that it does some good and those that don't, at least for combat! [:D]

The closest thing to a wing with washout I've ever flown was a warped wing! [:0] [:D]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

We typically do three different airfoils at Texas Flugwerks:
- Clark Y
- Clark YH
- JPM 1608 - semi-symetrical custom airfoil

We do custom airfoils to client specs, and typically program in 3 degrees of washout. We use a CNC hot wire cutter, so getting the washout right is not too difficult.

We have done Eppler 203 and other airfoils, and use the cutter to do fuselage sections as well.

Ed
boiler

Post by boiler »

I have used e203 for scale and B ships and the clark yh for ssc. I intend to continue the e203 for scale but plan to blend the clark yh and the e203 for ssc and b ships.