Video of some combat action!

Tell us how you go in for the kill. You'll find the latest combat strategies here.

Moderator: hbartel

Thekid3418

Video of some combat action!

Post by Thekid3418 »

Hey guys, this is a short clip I took of Eric from our August meet here in DEE-Troit. It has some good aspects that I've taken some notes from, and a rather surprising finish...

http://www.vimeo.com/8542432

What can be taken from this, is just how hard Eric sticks on his target. Once he gets behind the orange plane (Aaron Snyder) he stays directly behind his streamer for a good 30 seconds or more it seems. This is what I have found to be the most productive strategy, especially as the numbers of planes per heat has dwindled in the last few years. You'll notice, at no point does he swipe at the streamer to the point that he has to break off and come around again. He makes steady passes, edging closer and closer to the streamer with each attempt.

Also, what we have noticed in our long time flying combat is the GREAT way to set someone up (sorry Aaron, you're the guinea pig in this case). You'll notice going into the final turn of this video at the 1:07, where Eric is flying in relation to the streamer. His plane is behind, and slightly off the wing of the defending plane. This does one very important thing for him, it pins his opponent on the flightline! This accomplishes something HUGE, it gives your opponent only one way to turn, and you know which way that is! This way, when the opponent gets to the point that they have to turn, in this case right, they will be flying perpendicular to the way they are going through the turn. At this point, it is just a matter of getting the altitude right and you'll fly right through the streamer, often with no adjustments in course for yourself.

This, I feel could be a good thread to discuss ways in which we go about getting cuts, or other effective strategies (such as techniques for launching late, etc.) in hopes that the next time we go out to practice we can try and execute them in our own way.

This video shows one obvious flaw in Eric's flying, and thusly our strategy, he gets NAILED! It is very difficult, for me at least, when setting my eyes on one target to not get tunnel vision. I have found that when i'm having a very good day, I can attempt to follow someone while still being concious of where other planes are around me and effectively dodge incoming attackers. This, of course, is not a very common occurance for me unfortunately :? but I think with more practice sessions over this coming summer, i'll be able to get better at it and avoid wrecking some of the planes I don't build :lol: :wink: .

Also, I am all out of new ideas on how to get cuts. So i need you all to tell me your secrets, lol

I hope everyone is having a happy holidays,
Brian
Ed Kettler

Re: Video of some combat action!

Post by Ed Kettler »

Aaron, you seem to operate only in the horizontal plane, making it easier to get "lined up". Need to vary course in all dimensions to evade effectively.
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
Thekid3418

Post by Thekid3418 »

Yes, if anyone knows how to avoid a Gilkey, Ed sure would know!

But the concept even applies to altitude change. Long story short, you don't (in my opinion) want to fly RIGHT behind someones streamer. You want to set up somewhere next to their streamer, and make them do all the hard work. Eventually, hopefully, you'll have them stuck in a corner like unfortunately Aaron was here, and thats your oppurtunity to pounce. Eric just stinks, thats why he didn't get the cut ;)

Later,
Kid
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Thekid3418 wrote:Yes, if anyone knows how to avoid a Gilkey, Ed sure would know!
Thanks for the compliment! It was the toughest 4:30 I've flown in 2548!
:D
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
lightning

Post by lightning »

Hey Brian, what's with the new handle? Or are you going to pass the old one down to your kid brother? (You know, the one whose going to kick your rear end this summer and make you feel like a member of the OGC! :mrgreen: )
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

This thread is fantastic. Now if we can get Eric to post some videos and hints on how to defeat Brian, there might be some chance to dethrone the Gilkey boys! :D

-= Dave
Last edited by ZenManiac on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
lightning

Post by lightning »

ZenManiac wrote:This thread is fantastic. Now if we can get Eric to post some videos and hints on how to defeat Brian, there might be some chance to dethrone the Gilkey boys! :D
-= Dave
Nice signature line :shock: , it looks like the new forum doesn't like some of the formatting commands, Don.
Dave, you need to edit the control characters in your sig line. This Forum software uses BBCode instead of HTML
From the FAQs "What is BBCode?
BBCode is a special implementation of HTML, offering great formatting control on particular objects in a post. The use of BBCode is granted by the administrator, but it can also be disabled on a per post basis from the posting form. BBCode itself is similar in style to HTML, but tags are enclosed in square brackets [ and ] rather than < and >. For more information on BBCode see the guide which can be accessed from the posting page."
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
boiler

Post by boiler »

I think an old rc combat geezer took Eric out. :shock: :wink:
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
lightning

Post by lightning »

boiler wrote:I think an old rc combat geezer took Eric out. :shock: :wink:
He He Bob, I think you're right!! :mrgreen:
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Thekid3418

Post by Thekid3418 »

Keith, this is my handle on RCG so I took this oppurtunity to make them the same. I am a member of the OGC in the fact that I have WAY too many usernames and passwords, so i've been trying to simplify.

And I think Eric would be better off as "The Punk" or something more descriptive of how he really is :wink:

Dave, unfortunately there are no videos of me flying. Eric doesn't have much experience with the camera (though im working on that!), and my old man usually helps call for me while I am flying. But, I can tell you from flying defence against Eric and inversly chasing him when we each have the last streamer he and I fly VERY much alike. We each have our finer points. For instance, Eric is a little ballsier while I would like to think i'm a little more patient. But we do fly just about interchangably.

There are some people that have great handles on flying real tough evasive moves. Pretty much everyone that flies up here does not make it easy to get them. But a couple names that jump out at me as people I hate to chase would be Roid, and Sean. This is because they make it the hardest of all. What I have found in flying defence is 3 big things come into play

1) Change Direction (Already mentioned)
2) Change Altitude (Already mentioned)
3) Don't Fly straight for long periods of time

This is something that they are great at, always turning back on the chaser (whether the chaser has a streamer or not!). I've heard Roid say before "They can't be behind you if you're behind them". This works very well, as its next to impossible to "T someone up" when they are never going straight. Always turning all over the place brings its own set of problems though, as IMO it makes it more likely to get in a midair. This is why even with rule (3) in mind I usually fly long straight lines hopefully out in front of the competition. I'll give up a better shot at the streamer if it gives me a better chance to get my plane out of the way! But thats a matter of personal opinion...

These are all just the ramblings of someone whos been at this a long time. I'd love to hear other peoples opinions on what works, if they care to share!

Later,
Kid
boiler

Post by boiler »

Brian, I think you should use the handle that your dad gave you. "Dork" :P :wink:
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Thanks, Kid. Nice when flyers are so generous to share their combat secrets. There used to be a number of "combat guides" on the old site, I remember especially one by A.J. Seaholm. May this will take it's place next to that.

-= Dave
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

lightning wrote:This Forum software uses BBCode instead of HTML
From the FAQ
Thanks, Keith. Much more better.

d.
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
AIM

Post by AIM »

Ed Kettler wrote:Aaron, you seem to operate only in the horizontal plane, making it easier to get "lined up". Need to vary course in all dimensions to evade effectively.
But I do!!!
I vary my horizontal course at each end of the field and my vertical course when I land...

I can't believe you don't see this... Sheesh,,, Texans.... :D
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
Thekid3418

Post by Thekid3418 »

I think Aaron might just have the most deceptive strategy of all. I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner! But upon very advanced analysis, i've seen Aaron's cunning...

He very expertly piloted his model, leaving his pursuer no other choice then to follow very closely. Aaron then allowed the pursuer to think he had him cornered, to raise his sense of security. Then, Aaron fiendishly lured the pursuer right infront of Bob who was simply milling around minding his own business. Thusly, Aaron caused the contact, and shedded Eric from the streamer like a snake skin.

Awesome job Aaron. That is a strategy I have never thought of before, but you pulled it off masterfully! Amazing, you are THEY man!

Kid :)

Return to “Tactics and Strategies”