Watts Matters???

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

midair02

Watts Matters???

Post by midair02 »

I've been looking at trying out electric for combat. I looked at the motors that have been suggested and saw that most of them are not rated for the voltage guys are using. As long as the watts (volts x amps) don't exceed the rating you won't burn up the motor?

So watts is what matters?
William "Dominator" Drumm III
RCCA Secretary/Treasurer #713
Lee Liddle

Re: Watts Matters???

Post by Lee Liddle »

Yes that`s pretty much how it works. It depends on the quality of the motor and how it`s rated. Some makers over rate their motors and some under rate theirs. There isn`t a set standard that all use. They basicly suggest volts based on what rpm they think the motor is good for, depending on the kv rating.

The watt rating is roughly related to how much copper is in the motor and what guage of wire is used. That combined with how well the motor disapates heat determines how many watts it can stand. Of course how the motor is mounted and how it`s run also matter. Lots of variables, but volts don`t hurt a motor as much as too many amps.
TEXAS ROCKS COMBAT HARD!!!

Lee Liddle
RCCA #628

[img]http://idata.over-blog.com/0/35/56/40/texas_flag.gif[/img]
midair02

Re: Watts Matters???

Post by midair02 »

Thanks for the info Lee.
William "Dominator" Drumm III
RCCA Secretary/Treasurer #713

Return to “All About Electrics”