Short streamers

This is a private forum for the Rules Committee

Moderator: hbartel

lightning

Short streamers

Post by lightning »

Posted in the Rules Forum prior to placing any comments in the General Forum.

There's a couple of posts out there referring to streamers that are less than 30' as received and how an event should handle that.
My first reaction is that the streamers need to be replaced with 30 footers.
In the event that time does not allow that and the event has to use the short streamers, I am wrestling with the concept of awarding 120 full streamer points to a pilot who lands with an uncut but short (ie 20-25') streamer.
The rules are quite clear. The remaining streamer is what counts for points. There is no provision for adjusting the score to add 5'-10' to the remainder, even if it was short to begin with.
So up for discussion:
How can the pilots not be penalized 20-40 points if they are provided with short streamers and do not get cut?
The rules do not allow the flexibility of measuring each streamer before combat and awarding 120 points to a pilot who has less than 30' remaining. Common sense would suggest this is a potential temporary solution. Does it pass the test of reasonableness from both a Pilot and CD/judge perspective?
How often does a 30' streamer get trimmed to 20'-25' in flight? Would we be opening a door to any other pilot in a different competition demanding 120 points for (say) only 25' of remaining streamer.
Plus, now that the "supplier" has declined to continue to provide rolled streamers, how big of a problem is this and for how many more contests?
Maybe, recognizing it's a PITA, for a few contests pilots need to "tie-on" the extra needed to get a full 30' :?:
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
boiler

Re: Short streamers

Post by boiler »

In Fl and TX it was judged that all streamers would be measured at the end of a round and 4 points per ft of remaining streamer would be awarded. That's what the rules say and is the fairest thing that can be done. It stinks that a pilot MAY have lost 20 points because of a short streamer but the only solution is to roll your own or get a new supplier. Mike has someone new lined up that should be more reliable. Mike just got off the phone with me to see if I wanted streamer material or pre rolled for the NATS. Keith and I said it was a no brain-er if the streamers would be 30 ft or more to go pre rolled since a thousand streamers would be an extra load on the NATS CD. That's me this year. :roll:
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
mad

Re: Short streamers

Post by mad »

Just to let everyone know what happened. All the streamers we have used for the last 5 or 6 years, have been rolled by an old Hispanic couple here in Tn. When Mike was going to stop offering the pre-rolled streamers due to lack of rollers, I found him a source of labor. He ships the rolls to me. I get them to them and they roll them. usually 3 or 4 thousand at a time.and I ship them out for him. They are paid by the box so there is no advantage for them to roll short streamers as a matter of fact it would cause more work for them.
I went and pulled 30 out of a box of of 1000 streamers and measured them and they were short all of them measured a little over 27 feet. the only reason we can come up with is there is something different with the way these stretched when they were rolled.
of course as soon as we found out we stopped shipping them. also some who got them have been sent rolls to replace them. so this will soon become a non issue.
But mostly I just wanted to let you know before everyone jumps all over Mike is that He has supplied ribbons for a long time and does it at cost. He put out a lot of money ahead of time just to help out the combat community. and as for my part I also use my own money to ship them out and Mike writes me a check at the end of the year. I have never made a penny messing with these things.
I am Sorry that this happened and don't what the solution to points would be. I guess because the ribbons are consistent the fairest thing would be to measure at the end and give points accordingly.

By the way if you need some practice streamers Mike has about 3000 pre-rolled that would be perfect
Michael DeWoody
RCCA# 548

Return to “Rules Committee Forum”