Fred420

New FX.25 by Tower ??

Post by Fred420 »

Dave "Sparky" Davis
RCCA #870
"Earth is the insane asylum for the universe"
"May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings, slow to make enemies
and quick to make friends. But rich or poor, quick or slow, may you
know nothing but happiness from this day forward. The way you lived yesterday determined your today.
But the way you love today will determine your tomorrow."
o1moregil

Re: New FX.25 by Tower ??

Post by o1moregil »

I bet it's the same one they stopped making, there ax series didn't sell like the fx, its kinda prisey!
lightning

Post by lightning »

But at $130 (up from $95) I bet they won't sell many of those either with the Magnum 25XLS at $80!!!
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

It SHOULD be the original FX more or less. OS Engines is owned by Futaba, thus it is the chairman of Futaba, Mr. Kirai, that ultimately calls the shots for OS. Several months AFTER OS announced the discontinuation of the FX and it's replacement with the AX, and AFTER all of our discussion here, on the RCCA web board AND the Q-25 web boards, I acquired a high-level contact at Futaba USA through a mutual friend. I told him of the concern we all had and he asked me to write a letter for him to forward to Mr. Kirai. He did so and Mr. Kirai decided to bring back the FX, albeit at a MUCH higher price. (The last full retail price that I paid prior to it being discontinued was $94.) Then I saw the test results on the prototype Magnum 25XLS and its MSRP and I wrote back to my contact, gave him that information and recommended that they should NOT bring back the FX since they can not compete with the Magnum XLS at that price. It looks like it was too late and that they are going to do it anyway. While the FX is a superior engine to the AX in many ways, I doubt if they will recover the sales that they lost because they cannot compete on price with the Magnum XLS. I just hope that my contact doesn't take any heat as a result of this decision. It is just a case of too little, too late.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
RCCA #908
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/garyjames/Trample_the_Weak.jpeg[/img]
lightning

Post by lightning »

Has anyone yet got any real-life experience of the production Magnum 25XLS?
Not yet in the market for new engines but the $80 price tag looks awful good compared to the new $130 price on the OS 25FX.
That being said, boxed 25FXs are going on Ebay for up to $110!!
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Terry Yates, AKA "still forgiven" has a test engine, he has been flying it for a while in combat. it does really well, with a macs header, my homemade combat can and a 9-4, it was hitting 19200 rpm on the ground, it ran smoothly and reliably. Its a really awesome engine! I did get to see at at one of the events, Magnum got it right, they just need to get them on the shelves
Andy Erwin
central CA
lightning

Post by lightning »

Hi Andy, I agree the reports on that "test engine" are highly encouraging; I was hoping there was some actual experience of the production version and whether it lived up to expectations.
The hobbypeople site http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/210720.asp is now showing an expected delivery of 10/15/2010.
Looks like I have to be patient!!!
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
David Drowns

Post by David Drowns »

I got to fly the engine before he took any chances with it in combat and it actually hit 19,300 with the pipe while my Norvell was only getting 18,500 with a pipe that same day. Both were running 9x4 props. The engine was rock solid through the throttle which also impressed me and had the feel of a high quality engine. Not what I expected from Magnum. It was the fastest thing that day (though it was not up in combat) but it has seen combat action since. I know it's passed the plow test at least once in Corona. :roll: I'm holding my money for the XLS.
David Drowns
RCCA #951
Member of Palomar RC Flyers Fallbrook CA
http://pfcombat.hyperboards.com
AMA #702910