BulletProof Models J1N1-S Gekko (Irving) Prototype

Post by grasshpr »

SPECS
Span: 60"
Length: 42"
Weight: 4lbs.
Power: Magnum .15XLS (x2)
Speed: Yeah Buddy

This one has the potential to clean a few clocks. Very happy with flight characteristics and performance. After 3 test flights threw it up in a round at the Tangerine Challenge. This prototype was constructed entirely between Monday 8/9 when I started wrestling with uncooperative foam cutting software and 4:00 AM Fri. morning 8/12 in time to bring to contest. (I did take thurs. off from work and pull an all nighter to get-er-done.) That's what you call Cuckoo-for Cocoa Puffs. End result was worth it. As you were.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
Don Holmes

Re: BulletProof Models J1N1-S Gekko (Irving) Prototype

Post by Don Holmes »

That looks like a ribbon shredder to me!
Nothing fly's like a Bullet Proof Model, now to save up some $

Outstanding Job...
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Very nice Chris,
What about your fuel system? Is it tanks in each nacelle? Are there throttle servos on each engine? This week would you do a KI-46 Dinah for us, please?
Lou Melancon
RCCA #484
Cumming, Georgia
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

4 oz. hayes tank in each nacelle. Single throttle servo in center of wing. Considered Dinah, too much canopy and a little humpbacked for straight cutting with hotwire. Chose Gekko for sleeker lines and better doabillity. Next fighter on drawing board: Spitfire Mk.XVI.

Got a better idea; how about you get back into the swing of things and put Georgia back on the map? Feeling any better these days? Hope so. Ever build the Oscar I gave you?
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Looks great! Is BulletProof your company, Chris?

Ed
Ed Kettler
RCCA 533/AMA 3739
Ft Worth, TX
Former target tug for the best RC Combat Pilots in the World!
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

Chris,
I've still got the Oscar and it needs to be built. That winter contest at the Apopka field sounds tempting. I made a few of the contest there back in the day. If I were getting back in it wouldn't be a scale twin, although if I used electric motors...... just thinking about it.

Feeling great, better looking too. See you later.
Lou Melancon
RCCA #484
Cumming, Georgia
David Drowns

Post by David Drowns »

Good looking plane Chris. Nice job.
David Drowns
RCCA #951
Member of Palomar RC Flyers Fallbrook CA
http://pfcombat.hyperboards.com
AMA #702910
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

Ed, BulletProof Models was an LLC I was partnered with 3 other guys in back in the mid '90s. We kitted a half dozen or so models for combat and sport flying. All fiberglass fuse and foam wing type construction. ( I doubt if anyone remembers the "Exterminator", a fiberglass Wild Thing knockoff we produced). The glass layups and kit production was a lot of messy, toxic, labor intensive work and after several years of just breaking even we called it quits.
I never recouped my cash investment(s) or drew a paycheck. That sucked. Lesson learned. Unless someone else has the domain name or some such, I figure I have as much right to it as anyone. Maybe I'll make it official if the demand is there to warrant it. Until then it is my "unofficial" company name. Plan to look into legalities and a website one of these days. If it all becomes too much of a hassle, I'll chuck it and just cut kits for myself and a close circle of friends.
The lesson I learned is don't turn your hobby into a business and expect to still have fun at it. My motive for kitting 2948, and future Open, SSC combat models is to promote and support the growth of combat and have some fun in the design and developement of planes that fly well.
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

grasshpr wrote:The lesson I learned is don't turn your hobby into a business and expect to still have fun at it.

Amen to that! :roll:
"Tail end Charlie"
Criticize by contributing

Roy Appleton
RCCA# Ex-541