E-Falcon setup

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

58combat

E-Falcon setup

Post by 58combat »

I am working on a couple of E-Falcons and am about ready for a test flight. I have read all of the information in other posts. I really appreciate all of the effort you electron pioneers have put into developing this plane. I like my IC engines but I also like my electrics so naturally I want to give this a try. I was hoping we could get a brief and concise post going here on the best setup for this plane. I will enter a few questions that I have to hopefully help better understand what can make this plane a contender.

Where is the sweet spot for CG? I know it depends on pilot preferences, but where is the best place to start?

How much reflex? In the instruction manual I belive they are showing a straight edge on the bottom of the wing keeping the aileron in line with wing bottom.

I have heard a few stories that in a hard crash the wing slides forward and wipes out the speed controller. Has anyone had problems with that and come up with a solution? Any alternative wing hold down methods that work better?

Control throws? By the manual?

Thanks in advance. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Ben Phillips
RCCA #924
dditch

Re: E-Falcon setup

Post by dditch »

I'll measure my CG next time I get my plane out but I ended up doing the eCobra (horizonal stab/Elevator) so it might be moot.
I can tell you that when I did a maiden as an eFalcon, I had NOT enough up and could not fly it. CG was way nose heavy, so the range they give you I think you need to be in the middle. I flew it at the front of the range.

Yes, in a crash, it slides forward. I even put some foam padding and it slid. I now have a metal 'L' bracket to protect the ESC.

One day this winter, I'll write up a blog on my electric vs. nitro experiance and the electric eFalcon, battle axe and rapier and what I experianced.
58combat

Re: E-Falcon setup

Post by 58combat »

I really want to try and dial in this "wing". I have a 48" Razor wing with a brushless motor and it is one of the quickest and most maneuverable planes I have ever flown. I would think this wing could be the same way. But the hardest thing to find on it was the true CG. Once I found that it flys great.
Ben Phillips
RCCA #924