Winter debrief 2010

It may be a little cold for combat but there are other things to talk about.

Moderator: hbartel

AIM

Winter debrief 2010

Post by AIM »

Well folks once again the flying season is over for those of us in the north. Now we are on to other hobbies that occupy our minds and wallets. As some of you know I'm big into hunting and would like to once again share my "off season" from combat. I'm hoping that the rest of you will chime in and show the rest of us what YOU do during your "off season" from combat.
It doesn't have to be hunting related. Whatever else you do let's see it. Or if you fly or build planes all year long let's see some pics of that.
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Re: Winter debrief 2010

Post by AIM »

Last year the Gilkey family came down for some rabbit and pheasant hunting. We had a GREAT time and I am looking forward to a repeat season. This year Eric is looking for a bit bigger game and in 5 days we are gonna be deer hunting. Two weeks ago Scott and Eric came down and we did some shooting and blind building. After that, we did manage to get a little rabbit hunting in and Scott scored on the first rabbit of the year. Sorry we didn't get any pics of Scott's bunny but I'll give him credit for a pretty hard shot.
(It's been so warm here this fall that the weeds are still VERY thick and the shots are really tight)
Last weekend I went turkey hunting and decided to sit in the blind we built for Eric. No turkeys but I did take my camera and got a few pics of deer that came by. In all I saw 6 deer and 3 offered good shots. No bucks but 2 of the 3 were nice sized does.Image
These pics were taken from the blind we will be in next weekend.
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
lightning

Post by lightning »

Was wondering where you'd got to!
But by the looks of your airplanes I thought you ALWAYS did blind building, followed by shooting the manure :lol:
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
AIM

Post by AIM »

Youth deer season finally got here and what a GREAT weekend!!!! Friday night Scott and Eric got here and we made a few final preparations for the weekend. Saturday we had about everything that could go wrong, went wrong. But things changed for Sunday and all the stars aligned to offer up a nice button buck for Eric "four shot" Gilkey.
Last edited by AIM on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:51 am, edited 9 times in total.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

About 9:00 am the deer came walking through and Eric put the shot at him. He was shooting offhand at what was later stepped off at 103 paces. To my disbelief this deer just hopped around but stayed in place. after 3 shots I told him to get a good rest on the edge of the blind and take a good careful shot. Well he did just that and the deer dropped where it stood.
Maybe not the biggest deer in the world, but never the less, a nice yearling buck that will taste REALLY good!!!
Congrats to Eric with his FIRST deer.
Scott took a bunch of pics that I hope he will post...
Last edited by AIM on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

Last edited by AIM on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

Gotta start early.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

How Ideal is this?
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

I knew Scott asked me along for a reason..
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Thanks to Aaron for hosting us for a really enjoyable weekend. Building the blinds was actually pretty interesting and fun, but sitting in them hunting was more interesting. It was a real thrill arriving in the blind while it was still dark, and watching the sun come up in the woods, straining to see the deer. Really cool! Eric's shot was a long one and where the deer was, he had to shoot to his left side (he's a right handed shooter) from the corner of the blind and past a small group of trees. I was sitting to Eric's left and I had a PERFECT view of the deer but I was blocking him from moving further left. The first two shots were clean misses, the third shot I saw bar fly off one of the trees that were in the way. At this point both Aaron and Eric were standing and there had been three LOUD reports and the deer was still there so I figured it wouldn't hurt the stealth of the situation much if I pulled back, which gave Eric the chance to move a little more left and get a good resting shot. Bang, it dropped instantly and a combination of relief and excitment set in- relief in the clean shot, and excitement in the first-ever deer! I've not yet successfully posted a photo with the new forum so I'll try- the first photo will show the firing lane and the deer- you can see his tail as the white spot well off in the distance. You can also see the trees to the right of the lane which provided the obstruction to Eric, but the photo was from my spot, which combined with me being a left-handed shooter, gave a perfectly clear line.
IMG_1212RS.JPG
IMG_1212RS.JPG (106.64 KiB) Viewed 16132 times
The left-most small tree on the right side of the firing lane, about halfway to the deer, fell victim to shot #3.
IMG_1219RS.JPG
IMG_1219RS.JPG (118.74 KiB) Viewed 16132 times
I'm pretty sure Aaron was more excited than Eric, at least on the outside! Eric's pretty quiet but I could certainly see the excitement in his eyes.
IMG_1234RS.JPG
IMG_1234RS.JPG (108.87 KiB) Viewed 16132 times
All in all a great thrill, thanks to Aaron for all the hints and tips and lessons on how to look for paths deer might use, build a blind, be prepared and properly equipped/dressed, sit quietly, etc. He also gave some lessons on field dressing and processing but I will not recount those....
Last edited by sgilkey on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
AIM

Post by AIM »

Another great day hunting!!! A classmate and good friend, married this little munchkin of a man that wanted to give deer hunting a whirl. A few weeks ago we scouted out the woods and we put up his stand in a spot that I had never hunted but thought it would be a hot spot. Ends up it was a hot spot at least for today. About 9:00 am he peeled his very first swamp donkey. A 2 1/2 year old doe. After tagging and getting his second permit he got this respectable 1 1/2 year old 7 point about 5:00 pm.
Congrats to Mark on his first (and second) ever deer!!!
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

wow, that's a pretty nice rack on that buck, CONGRATS!!!!
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

When I'm not flyin or workin on combat planes I chase Mallards in flooded timber...... :mrgreen:

Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
AIM

Post by AIM »

WOW!!!! Now that is a boat load of ducks!!! That would be a blast. You were spending the next few hours cleaning I'm a guessing.
What's the last duck in the pic? I would guess a female but the white stripe behind the eye has me wondering.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
boiler

Post by boiler »

Here is my winter project for last week.

Basically B wings.
SSC wings next week and P-47 starting in January. Ultimate Bipe to be repaired and ready to go by spring.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]