Winter debrief 2010

It may be a little cold for combat but there are other things to talk about.

Moderator: hbartel

AIM

Re: Winter debrief 2010

Post by AIM »

On another note... The deer gods are not smiling on me this year. I've been out sittin and freezing in known good areas just watchin squirrels play. (which by the way is rather entertaining)
I've not for sure figured it out, but it seems the deer have changed patterns this year. I guess I'm due though. Plenty of years I was done within a few hours after opening morning but this year I gotta work for it.
I guess maybe I gotta get Eric or Mark to come back and get my deer for me.
Did see the cutest thing ever last weekend. A squirrel was wiping his face about 20 feet from me. (just like a cat would) After he got done pawing his face he grabbed his tail and wiped his face like a human would with a towel. Cutest damn thing I ever saw. Almost 30 years of hunting and never saw that before.
Last edited by AIM on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Thanks guys for the new forum, i'm looking forward to other posts and other interests!!!! I really enjoy the outdoors and the hunt, I don't so well with the kill, I take care of that by leaving it to Aaron, Eric, and Brian (when he joins us), and I definitely enjoy the eatin'!!!
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

I'll second that. Thanks to the RCCA officers for creating the new forum. I will definately check in more often during my yearly OTC sabaticals.
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
boiler

Post by boiler »

Aaron, you need to build your wings so I can unbuild them for you. :) Gotta keep you busy repairing next season. :wink: I would have more finished but I've been wallpapering a stairway to my basement which is really time consuming since the stairway has poor light and no trim boards. All treads and risers have to be removed to put up the paper. I plan to refinish the treads and risers and put a stair runner on them. When I started the project the stairs had tack less carpet and pad that were worn out and pure trash. If I had more time and a younger body I would be in my deer stand. It's too cold for me right now. I sure would like some in the freezer but don't want to freeze myself waiting for one to show. They pretty much have the run of my vineyard during the warm months browsing on my new vines. I need new brakes on the rear of my Trailblazer but won't work on them in this weather. I replaced the front pads and rotors a few weeks back. I may turn the rears over to a pro. I may need the 4x drive soon.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
AIM

Post by AIM »

Gettin some snow this morning. Goin rabbit hunting before the wind kicks up. I love hunting while it snows. There is just something really cool about it.
After a couple hours, Gunner and Tori should be slowed up enough that I'm gonna TRY to run Rifle with them. I've a hunch that he is still to young to want to follow them into the brush but we'll give it a whirl.
Next weekend is our last 2 days of deer season. Pray for me! :D
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
boiler

Post by boiler »

Watch yourself. I friend of mine had several guys hunting deer on his place. One got a nice buck and was dragging it out of the woods when another one saw the moving antlers and shot it again. :shock: :o :oops:
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
AIM

Post by AIM »

Wow!!! I am just getting my rear end kicked this year! Went rabbit hunting on Sunday and what a perfect day it was. Fresh snow, not terribly cold, wind had not picked up yet. PERFECT!

WRONG!!!

Saw ONE freekin bunny... Missed him ta boot. Darn thing holed up right away after the shot so a second try wasn't gonna happen.. ERRRRR!!!

On the bright side.. I took Rifle out with Gunner and Tori for his first OFFICIAL hunt. He did pretty much just what I hoped. He had his nose to the ground and in the air about all the time. He didn't have a clue what he was sniffin for but he was surely a sniffin. To bad I couldn't get a few bunnies runnin around.
I did get the missed shot while Rifle was with me and he didn't really seem disturbed. He came runnin over to me right away but as soon as Gunner got near me Rifle was off runnin with him right away. I keep pretty strict control over gunfire near pups and so far after 3 gun dogs I've not had a problem. Looks like my 4th is gonna be OK as well.

Hopefully things will improve for me.. I'm starting to think the big man upstairs is giving me a lesson in patience. I haven't even seen a grasshopper to shoot at...
Last edited by AIM on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

This is about a month ago. Rifle wanted to play with Gunner instead of huntin. Gunner has a tremendous amount of patience with the little man.

Another pic of Rifle about a month ago. Gunner watchin in the background.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

Raising up pups is something special. Good to see Gunner showing Rifle the ropes, He'll be eating rocks like a champ in no time.

With the Mayor of Detroit's plans to consolidate the city and bulldoze the blight to setup Urban Farming I wonder if they will open it up to Upland hunting. The inner city is LOADED with Pheasant already, and Pit Bulls don't hunt.
Mike Gillette
RCCA #894
AIM

Post by AIM »

M. Gillette wrote: The inner city is LOADED with Pheasant already,
Are you serious?
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

AIM wrote:
M. Gillette wrote: The inner city is LOADED with Pheasant already,
Are you serious?

Totally, with all the abandon railroad track, and industrial areas that are being reclaimed by mother nature their habitat is ideal. Coyote are getting bad too.
Mike Gillette
RCCA #894
AIM

Post by AIM »

Might just have to get a Mich license and go to Deeetroit for some bird hunting and varmit shootin.

That's just nuts though. Out here we have a pretty ideal habitat for pheasants and I'm all but afraid to shoot one for fear it would be the last bird in the county.
5-8 years ago on a typical 3 - 4 hour hunt, the dogs would flush 10+ birds. Now you can hunt 3 - 4 different days and are lucky to see 1.
The ODNR claims the nest raiders are the problem.

BTW, check out the little rack on this deer shot near Toledo.
http://www.toledoblade.com/article/2010 ... 1/12160315
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

Well the deer report is in...

SKUNKED!!!

Since I shot my first deer probably 15 years ago I don't think I have ever NOT gotten a deer. I would even say that half the deer that I've shot were taken before noon on opening day! Jeez I'm pathetic!!! I even bought a new gun this year just for deer.

Oh well. At least Eric got his first deer with my new gun and my buddy Mark got his first ever deer this year. (well 2 actually)

So even if I don't get mine during the January muzzle loader season, I will call this season a success. The next couple weekends I can spend rabbit hunting and cuttin wood. It will give me a chance to get Rifle out and run him with Gunner and Tori.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
AIM

Post by AIM »

Sean and I went out yesterday. It was a fun day but not much in the way of rabbits. We saw I think just 4 total and Sean managed to get one of them. After hitting the tracks we went over behind his house to about a 4 acre patch of the thickest most briar choked piece of ground I have hunted in a long time. There were a bazillion tracks just absolutely covering about every square inch. My dogs were CONSTANTLY yippin on the tracks and yet we saw only one rabbit. I know that spot will produce a hundred bunnies but yesterday they were just gone. We did see one pheasant that Sean shot but it hit the ground runnin and my dogs couldn't find it. BUMMER!
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Just to show you the south can hunt with the rest of you..I managed to get away for 2 short trips to the lease totaling 7 days of hunting and have 3 bucks to show for it. A 7 point 160lb in October with the Bow and 2 spikes this week the rifle. I still have to butcher the last 80lbs of meat in the cooler..What a great year #1 in 2548 , 3 deer and time to rebuild the fleet for combat again in January at an A1 class club in Orlando..Maybe I'll visit the mouse while I'm there.

Any Members in SD or NB feel free to invite me for a good pheasant hunt???
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it