Other Winter activities

It may be a little cold for combat but there are other things to talk about.

Moderator: hbartel

lightning

Other Winter activities

Post by lightning »

As Aaron (AIM) mentioned in his Winter debrief posts, my cold weather activities involve antique model trains.
My specific interest is in of British manufacture dated from 1935 to 1973. It started on my 9th birthday when I received a train set as a birthday gift. I still have that set!
It is called "Trix Twin Railways" due to the capability of running two trains under separate control on the same track.
No big deal these days with Digital Control Systems, but it was a big deal in 1935.
I belong to the 500 member Trix Twin Railway Collectors Association and am the US/Canada representative for them.
Their website is http://www.ttrca.co.uk
We have all of 26 members in the US and Canada (yes, less than the RCCA!)

I take part in several train shows throughout the year and just returned back from the UK where I attended the Association AGM.

I have attached a few photos of my own collection plus a few shots from shows I have been to, primarily in the Toronto, Ontario area (where 7 of our 26 members live).
More photos are on http://www.trix.collector.btinternet.co.uk/Fun5.html
and more layouts, including my "Portable" are on http://www.trix.collector.btinternet.co ... s2000.html

We run a "Classic" style of layout, much like a lot of Lionel owners do, ie there is no attempt at scenery, landscapes etc. We only use what was offered by the Manufacturer.
Home layout
Home layout
DSCF0012a.JPG (154.52 KiB) Viewed 16357 times
Terminal station
Terminal station
DSCF0003a.JPG (225.2 KiB) Viewed 16357 times
Through station
Through station
DSCF0008a.JPG (204.32 KiB) Viewed 16357 times
Portable (ie Exhibition) layout. Yes, the coal loader really works! Primary attraction for any kids who attend.
Portable (ie Exhibition) layout. Yes, the coal loader really works! Primary attraction for any kids who attend.
Charles pic 11a.jpg (94.66 KiB) Viewed 16357 times
Portable layout - full view - work in progress!
Portable layout - full view - work in progress!
KJ modified.JPG (204.46 KiB) Viewed 16357 times
Toronto Christmas train show November 2010. Three Canadians with me on the right
Toronto Christmas train show November 2010. Three Canadians with me on the right
PB210011r.JPG (177.61 KiB) Viewed 16357 times
A collection of Pacifics from 1938 to 1952
A collection of Pacifics from 1938 to 1952
P2110037b.JPG (197.54 KiB) Viewed 16356 times
Apart from coordinating membership dues collection for North America I keep a stock of spare parts and am happy to provide parts or a repair service to other members in this part of the world.
So, for what it's worth, this is what I do in the Winter when I'm not building combat planes!
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
sgilkey

Re: Other Winter activities

Post by sgilkey »

Those layouts are amazing, I wouldn't even have a clue how to plan one. For me, the thing I would find interesting is the tinkering with the trains, tracks, and control/wiring, I would be hopeless at building layouts!!! COOL
Scott Gilkey
RCCA# 330
AIM

Post by AIM »

sgilkey wrote: I would be hopeless!!! COOL
Boy now there is the understatement of the year!!!
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
lightning

Post by lightning »

sgilkey wrote:Those layouts are amazing, I wouldn't even have a clue how to plan one. For me, the thing I would find interesting is the tinkering with the trains, tracks, and control/wiring, I would be hopeless at building layouts!!! COOL
You're right Scott, in the days before digital control it all had to be hard-wired. That takes as long as the rest of the assembly put together.
My exhibition layout has "Automatic train control", ie. a train will not run a red signal. That plus all the sidings are isolated when switched out so trains can be left idle while running others.
Getting it all to work, reliably, can be a challenge! This is of paramount importance when running up to 16 hours at a 2-day show!
Don't forget, some of this stuff is more than 70 years old!
Keith Jones
AMA CD #7601
Radio Control Club of Detroit
and proud member of the OGC
AIM

Post by AIM »

That is really cool!!! The tri rail thing is just like my old lionel stuff. Makes me wanna go drag it out and put it around my Christmas tree. My dad used to do that every year at Christmas.
"my only regret is that I have but one streamer to give to my fellow competitors"
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Wow, that is really cool Keith. Thx for sharing!
Dane "Mad Max" McGee
Greenville, Texas
RCCA Vice President 684
boiler

Post by boiler »

When I was 10 years old my father, brother,and myself set up a train room which had been a bed room. We had all kinds of S gauge stuff on a waist high table made of pressed paper board. (homasote?) We painted it green for grass and landscaped it. When I was 13 I started to fly 1\2 A cox powered control line models. By the time I was 15, my father and brother joined in flying 35 sized models. We sold all the train stuff to the hobby shop to get more airplane stuff. Back then the store owner told us he had to report us to the police for purchasing large quantities of acetate glue. The police required it but he told them he knew we were not sniffing the stuff. When I started to fly control line combat I was 17 and we got Voodoo triple kit packs. We modified the tail booms using shorter tempered aluminum. We ran metal tanks although I did convert to a few pen bladder models just before my divorce which preceded my vacation from model planes addiction for 30 years. My first full year of flying RC planes was 2002. My first year flying RC combat was 2003.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Very nice layout! I was into trains when I was a kid, mainly the "N" gauge scale, I still have everything packed away.
During non combat season, which is basically dec 15 to the end of febuary. I am on the slopes, I snowboard as much as I can, not a whole lot last year but I hope to get on it alot more this year..... in the summer, I get the boat out and head to the lake for some relaxation, water skiiing, wakeboarding and kneeboarding. camping occasionaly too and the biggest thing is SPADFEST in the midwest, just too much fun!
Andy Erwin
central CA
AIM

Post by AIM »

When I'm not hunting I usually am out cutting wood. It has basically become more of a hobby than a chore although usually by March I am pretty sick of it. 25 to 30 truckloads a year but not $100 worth of propane in 4 years. :D
Here's my fleet. 41 CC's to 111 CC's and a four year old.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
boiler

Post by boiler »

Since I have a high efficiency Natural Gas furnance, I only burn my wood stove when the temperature gets below freezing and stays there. Too much trouble to build a small fire and let it burn out to keep from over heating the house. My gas bill for heating last month was about $25 and I burn no wood. The gas bill for heating this month may be $0 if it stays cold. Had company yesterday and today so the house has been about 80 degrees. Bridget and I usually try to keep it around 70-75. I just have one gas saw. It is a 14 inch bar Stihl. My back can't handle anything heavier and I have a limited time period that I can handle the little saw. I usually try to cut my wood a season before I plan to use it.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
AIM

Post by AIM »

I TRY to cut a year ahead but it just never happens. By spring I'm usually cutting and burning all in the same day. Luckily there is enough dead elm that is seasoned on the stick that no drying time is needed.
I've also got a couple REALLY big trees lined up this year that have been down awhile that I wanna get this winter. Those should get me through the spring time. One is a hard maple that is no less than 60" diam and 20' long. Another is a sycamore that is 3' diam and 50' to 75' long. Sycamore isn't the best wood but come spring it will do just fine. Both of these are just off the road so when I can't get to the woods due to sloppy spring weather I'll be cuttin these up.
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
boiler

Post by boiler »

We have a huge number of dead ash trees thanks to the Asian ash bore. That stuff burns pretty good with little seasoning. I have a friend with 17 acres of woods which he uses to make maple syrup. He has more dead ash than he needs to fire his evaporator. His loss is my gain.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
boiler

Post by boiler »

Here's a pic of some other winter activities that were started in the fall.

I guess you could say I have some liquid assets. :lol:
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
AIM

Post by AIM »

4th one back might be ready...
Aaron Snyder RCCA 819
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

this winters project is wrapping up this long term project finally before getting back to work on the old wood boat we are restoring then on to the next project...
Sean #838