May, 2012 Model Aviation magazine

So you got a hot plane, eh? Tell us why you think you're gonna be Top Gun this year!

Moderator: hbartel

Team_Oz

May, 2012 Model Aviation magazine

Post by Team_Oz »

Awesome picture of our president & his new design of a ssc plane. Where did you get your inspiration for designing this plane Bob? What are the cost of parts to build? Do you have instructions? Please provide us some more details of your design...
Last edited by Team_Oz on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Really did you think I would go there.
Bill1003
Don Holmes

Re: May, 2012 Model Avaition

Post by Don Holmes »

Yes Bob, Give us more......
Combat is alive in the Mid-Atlantic SSC and 2948
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
boiler

Re: May, 2012 Model Aviation magazine

Post by boiler »

Actually I didn't design it. Bruce Blevens did. I thought it would be a way of mounting a Magnum on metal rails which is what I was used to flying with the LA engine. I went to phencepost designs because I didn't think the narrow flange of the Magnum would mount on rails like the Battle Axe. I saw it could be done and am now back to flying my rails. I went with a low wing riser of foam instead of the phencepost rx compartment to save some weight since the Magnum is a couple of ounces heavier than the LA. When I got the kit from Bruce, there were no instructions so I winged it. He sent me two wings so I made an extra fuse. Both of those planes were retired after Hobe Sound.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Yep, the airplane that Bob is holding is called an "Evader" and is the brainchild of Bruce Blevins. I believe that a few of the other Sherman, TX boys have contributed some ideas as well. Bruce first introduced the airplane to us last summer. It is essentially a simplified derivative of an Avenger-type design. The Evader is a way to have an airplane that has similar flight characteristics to an Avenger but with a drastically lower parts count. It's cheaper and easier to build than most other designs because of the low parts count. Approximately 1/3rd to 1/2 of us in North Texas have switched to this design as it allows a lot of flexibility in wing/airfoil choice and is very durable. There is a tendency for the 2-rail type airplanes, (Battle Axe, Lethal Weapon, Georgia Gorilla, etc, etc) to bend the rails during a "dirt nap". Since the rails are stabilized by the poplar wood fuselage, I have not yet seen an Evader with a bent fuselage. The design is still being "tweaked", in terms of wing area, airfoil and mounting location of components. It is mostly being used with "clunk" tanks at this time, but is easily adaptable to bladder tanks as well. I tried to design an airplane similar to this myself last year, but mine was a dismal failure, Bruce's design works! So I have built 4 SSC and 4 Open B versions of Bruce's airplane and plan to use them as my new weapon. Thanks Bruce, for an EXCELLENT new design.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
RCCA #908
[img]http://www.rccagallery.com/albums/garyjames/Trample_the_Weak.jpeg[/img]
wtsidney

Post by wtsidney »

Would like to see some pics of the "Evader". Is Bruce kitting it?
Bill Sidney
Round Rock, Texas
RCCA 1036
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

Hey Bill, welcome to rc combat. email me and I'll give you my number. I will help you with some Evaders. Blevinsb17@yahoo.com
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
wtsidney

Post by wtsidney »

Thank You Bruce - They look great!

Have bent a few rails on the Lethal Weapon and like how the Evader has wood inserted into the rails. Expecting this will stop the rails from deforming. I'm going to re-work a twin rail design with poplar insert and a low wing riser.
Bill Sidney
Round Rock, Texas
RCCA 1036
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

You are welcome. The rails will still bend if it hits hard enough, but it is much more resilient than most others.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Can someone post some pictures, or is this a 'private' design?

Please? :roll:

-= Dave
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

I can't post pics Dave, or I would. I have shared this design with some other guys, maybe they will play it forward and post some pics for everyone to see. It is a really simple plane that's cheap and flies good.
If you have an evader built or are building some, please feel free to post some pics for everyone to see.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
wtsidney

Post by wtsidney »

I'll post some pics and notes from Bruce on the build.

Need to figure out how to upload pictures to the gallery.
Bill Sidney
Round Rock, Texas
RCCA 1036
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Thanks, guys. Looking forward to the visuals! :D

If you have the pictures on line, in Picassa or other public gallery, you can copy/paste the image URL, like I did below:
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
wtsidney

Post by wtsidney »

The plane is an "Evader". It is a simplified derivative of an Avenger. It has similar flight characteristics but with a drastically lower parts count. It's cheap and easier to build than most other designs because of the low parts count. It allows a lot of flexibility in wing / air foil choice and is very durable.

You start with a piece of 1/4x3x2 poplar from Lowe's and a rail. Slide the rail over the wood and trace the bottom of the rail in 8 inches. Put rail on other side of wood and repeat. Now connect the two lines with a diagonal line and it should look like this.

Cut the wood on the line with a jigsaw and lightly sand the rough edges. Cut an 8 foot 1/4 inch aluminium rail into three 24 inch and three 8 inch lengths. Put one long and one short length on top and bottom of the wood.

Measure between the rails and sand the wood on the bottom until it's the desired width for the engine you use. I'm building a open b here so I'll mount a 25.

Once the width is done, measure back the depth of your motor from the front of the mounting lugs to the back of the case. Add about 1/8 or so for clearance and mark and cut wood. Drill two more holes in the other rail.

Slide engine in and drill mounting holes. The engine will be bolted to the right hand side of the airframe.

Wing saddle it just a plate screwed on top rail, For SSC mine is 7 1/2 inches from front of rail to saddle. For b it's 6 3/4. I use g10 from McMaster Carr or you can use any thin light flat material. Some 1/16 ply. would probably do.

This is the back wing hold down. Just a screw through the top rail into each side, but not all the way through.

The front uses a single screw at an angle down into top of rail

Elevator uses a brass tube a couple of inches long for a pivot. Then you put coroplast over tubing and use a leftover piece of spar. (5/32 fibreglass rod).

The stab is 10 inch span, 4 inch root chord, 2 inch tips, 2 inches of sweep. The flying stab needs to have the pivot point at 1 1/8 inches back from the front. That's the 25% Mac line. At this spot it balances it's self with the air pressure and requires very little torque from the servo to move it.

You also will need something on the front for a skid. It protects the prop on landings. Again the g10 or you can even use some HDPE (plastic cutting board)

Fuel tank goes behind engine and is zip tied on. This one is slid up to back of motor. I usually leave room for a throttle servo between the tank and motor.

This plane had a bladder on and my servo just pinched the fuel line to kill it.

We have a guy that does well in open b with a limited B setup. Mount the throttle servo behind motor, then tank behind servo. The Hayes slimline tanks w/ Battery and receiver goes on opposite side of fuel tank on fuse with zip ties.

The elevator servo goes on next. The bigger the servo, the farther forward it should be. I have used the GWS micro 2bbmg and the hitec hs 82mg with good results.

I just cut it into the rudder and zip tie to fuse.

Dual servos work great. As far as airfoils I use the flat bottom for ease of mounting and the extra stability it gives me. The way I cut my wings with the semi symmetric tips gives a few degrees of washout.

I've tried a couple of different symmetric airfoils and cant see the benefit in the SSC class. It B it might have a small advantage, but I personally use the same wing on both. It does good inside and outside loops and in a 15 mph wind you can fly backwards if you have it set up right.

What do you know about aileron reflex? Add enough so the nose doesn't drop when power is cut and then fine tune reflex to eliminate any elevator trim.
Bill Sidney
Round Rock, Texas
RCCA 1036
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Thanks, Bill!
I gotta say, if the fuze stands up to the beating evidenced by the coroplast, it's a very robust design! :shock:

-= Dave
David Lorentzen
RCCA# 832
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

Yeah Dave, I tend to be hard on parts. They hold up pretty good but aren't invincible by any means. Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I have. now quit reading and go build some Evaders already!!
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031

Return to “My plane is better than yours because...”