Texoma 2014 schedule

Pump your upcoming event here...location, cost, how many rounds, classes....etc!

Moderator: hbartel

Bruce B

Texoma 2014 schedule

Post by Bruce B »

I wanted to get input from the pilots about what classes you want to fly next year. There seems to be some growing interest in limited b in the area. We can guage interest after our play day next month. I kinda like the one day/class events like we have been flying, but wouldn't mind pulling a double header if we could squeeze in a few rounds of scale or limited b. I personally would like to fly more scale next year. We will plan on two three day events again, LSN in March , and texoma nats in October. Bill Blake is looking at putting one on in Kansas again next year too. What do y'all think?
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Team_Oz

Re: Texoma 2014 schedule

Post by Team_Oz »

Kansas is tentative for May 30 - June 1
Really did you think I would go there.
Bill1003
davidturner

Post by davidturner »

David or Gary want a date as well? Let us know so we can save some tail chasing for you... :twisted:
David Turner
RCCA member #934
AMA Contest Director / Leader Member # 8822
Texoma RC Modeler's member
http://www.texomarc.org/
EK

Post by EK »

:) OpenB OpenB OpenB :) You knew that was coming didn't you Bruce.
Evan Wenger
davidturner

Post by davidturner »

Posted a Test open B sign up so I can easily print some score sheets and get an idea of how many are coming.
David Turner
RCCA member #934
AMA Contest Director / Leader Member # 8822
Texoma RC Modeler's member
http://www.texomarc.org/
Quickdraw

Post by Quickdraw »

I'm not sure when I can get a contest together down here. Make your schedules and I'll get what's left over.

I'm with Evan, the more Open B the better. I'll fly what the majority wants especially if it will get more pilots to the contest. With only 99 pilots in the RCCA, we need new blood or renewed old blood.
David E. Ebers Sr.
RCCA South Central Rep
Quickdraw #338
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

Thanks for the input guys. I really like the crowd we have here. We could have a brick launching contest and y'all would show up for it. Thanks for all the support. I like the speed of open myself, but also like the way limited b planes fly. I'm good with majority rule.
I also agree that more pilots would be a good thing. Used to be 15-20 pilots at every meet, now we probably average 10. If everybody would bring a friend, that would double our count. Lol
Combat is a hard sell to some people. Maybe because of the time investment needed, or maybe because people are too set in their ways to try something new. Could be lots of reasons why people don't want to even try it. I think as a group we should work towards better promotion of our events weather it's fliers at the local hobby shops, a posting on the rc websites, or whatever we need to do to try and get a buzz stirred up. David Turner and I were even talking about having a loaner plane ready to go at the events so maybe we can talk a spectator into giving it a try. If yo
u guys have any ideas on how to grow combat in the area, I'm all for it!!
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
Team_Oz

Post by Team_Oz »

Bruce B wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I really like the crowd we have here. We could have a brick launching contest and y'all would show up for it. Thanks for all the support. I like the speed of open myself, but also like the way limited b planes fly. I'm good with majority rule.
I also agree that more pilots would be a good thing. Used to be 15-20 pilots at every meet, now we probably average 10. If everybody would bring a friend, that would double our count. Lol
Combat is a hard sell to some people. Maybe because of the time investment needed, or maybe because people are too set in their ways to try something new. Could be lots of reasons why people don't want to even try it. I think as a group we should work towards better promotion of our events weather it's fliers at the local hobby shops, a posting on the rc websites, or whatever we need to do to try and get a buzz stirred up. David Turner and I were even talking about having a loaner plane ready to go at the events so maybe we can talk a spectator into giving it a try. If yo
u guys have any ideas on how to grow combat in the area, I'm all for it!!
It would seem to me that as originally happened, ssc is where we generate interest due to the lower cost to stay in the game. My vote would be to change the rules to allow WOT for ssc, this would make the more cost effective plane run closer to an limited B while still keeping the event cost effective. Huge difference in performance from 17.5 to 18.5, why not take advantage of it? Wanna really have fun with ssc, lower the minimum weight!!!!!!! Less weight = less damage and better performance.
Bill1003
boiler

Post by boiler »

Since SSC is an official AMA event rules are set by AMA. Limited B is not yet an AMA event and we have opened 18.5 for a SSC bird flying in Limited B.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]
Team_Oz

Post by Team_Oz »

boiler wrote:Since SSC is an official AMA event rules are set by AMA. Limited B is not yet an AMA event and we have opened 18.5 for a SSC bird flying in Limited B.
So Bob, are you saying the rule change process can't be used? Funny, I have never read in the rules where once set changes are not allowed. Can you please guide me to the rule that indicates this?

It was my understanding that there is a very specific process to make a rule change and we as a SIG are in control of our program, the AMA provides the framework for how we control the group.

My intent was to generate some discussion/interest to gauge the groups consensus if the change would be well received.
Bill1003
PFawcett

Post by PFawcett »

I don't think limited B is the answer, for the question of how to increase participation. honestly I don't care much for open B because of the amount of damage to equipment and airframes. I'm not saying get rid of it by any means.... just don't see how big heavy airplanes killing each other is going to get people interested. Defiantly keep open B a more elite or top level class.
I have always had a problem with the way we make planes weight up to certain weights... when we are trying to reduce damage we need to lighten the planes to reduce the kinetic energy... so i think we should look at reversing the weight limits in ssc and 2948. ie maximum weights of 2.5lbs and 3.25lbs. The planes would fly better and would launch alot easier. especially scale!
on the RPMs for ssc, why not 18.5k.... trying to choke these engines down just makes them harder to get consistent engine runs. in my experience. all of my magnums do 18.5 out of the box... shouldn't we make it easier for rookies in the rookie class?
I think staying w/.15s is the way to go. SSC is defiantly a good thing. We don't need more classes(limited B). We need better classes(improve scale and SSC).

overall i think to improve participation we need a supplier for ARF planes new people can buy. that really is the direction of our hobby in general. also as a group we need to do better at promoting our events and projects. We should post event announcements on the other forums, post a build thread or 2. I think that's the way to stir up new interest.

just my 2 cents........
Paul Fawcett
RCCA# 1034
Team_Oz

Post by Team_Oz »

Why limit it to 18.5? Mine turn 19.2 out of the box so I should be able to run it... The key is to simplify it to the point that allows rookies to participate. This could be as easy as a "fun-fly" class, or penalizing experienced pilots to level the playing field. The real question is... HOW DO WE ATTRACT NEW FLYERS... Not create a different class for us to fly.
Bill1003
EK

Post by EK »

My perception on an AMA rulebook event rule change is it takes a couple years to complete. A change from 17.5 to WOT takes the class from limited to open and there's already one of those on the books. Open A...which no one seems to be flying. Raising the RPM would certainly help when flying in the TX wind but this is an energy management class not blow and go.
Evan Wenger
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

I agree with Paul about promotion. We need to tap resources outside of our circle. I was only proposing how to get more pilots into the furball. Mainly because there is a group of guys that fly club combat just a few hours south of us and they are all set up with equipment very close to a limited b plane. I thought maybe if we tried to open up the classes to better fit their equipment, it might help persuade them to give it a go. The weight, and power setup is the same as scale so any "legal" scale plane could be flown in limited, and any ssc plane can be flown in limited.
I dont see the major cost difference for a new pilot that has to build a fleet from nothing. Magnum .25 engines are just a little more than the .15, but all other equipment is the same.
I think we should give it a try and see what happens. I like SSC the way it is, Open b is the bank and yank class. I do often wish I had a few more rpm's in ssc though. Specially on the windy days.
I think limited b is a good mix of power and speed. It's not all that much faster than ssc, and you can add lots of armor to help make the minimum weight. I have two old heavy ssc planes with .25's on them now for limited and had to add a little weight to both of them. The power available makes launching a just point it and let it go type event. I do feel it's safer launching into a 25-30 mph wind with a limited b plane. We can easily sanction our events as open A too if there is interest in running the .15's wide open.
Maybe some of the northern guys that have limited B experience can give us damage reports. I expect it will be worse than ssc, but not the destruction we know as open b.
There is a rules change request form on the homepage under the start combat header.
Bruce Blevins
RCCA# 906
AMA CD# 9031
boiler

Post by boiler »

JUST SOME THOUGHTS. In order to get new generation of pilots into streamer combat we need an introductory ELECTRIC class of SMALLER LIGHTER planes that are durable and able to fly in moderately windy conditions. The new generation are not builders to the extent that we are. The Iowa guys limit the diameter of the electric motor and the voltage which seems to work to keep everyone competitive. Chris Gunter also has some serious work done in the TN area. SSC is the biggest success for new entries into the nitro streamer cut arena. A number of pilots have capable electric SSC planes in the past but it was tough getting them competitive. I think the Limited B class gave us planes that flew slightly faster than SSC but had more thrust and control in windy conditions. More weight equals more damage in collisions. More thrust equals more control to help avoid collisions and less line violations. Limited B was constructed to help a transition from SSC to B class. We have a ton of existing classes on the books but only a few are flown. If we want new blood I believe we have to talk to club members and come up with some off the shelf planes that are electric and suitable for streamer combat. I have seen an interest in combat at my club but full contact combat with electrics doesn't turn me on. The planes flown in that are not suitable for streamer combat. Any AMA member can start a rules change process through the AMA without concern for the RCCA. The RCCA needs to concentrate on growing interest by reaching out to the new generation. The RCCA grew from the ground up. Any new interest must start in the ranks of the local clubs.
Bob (Longhaul) Loescher
rcca# 621 RC Combat Geezer
Bring those planes in closer where I can see them.
[url=http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11380][img]http://www.rccombat.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11381[/img][/url]

Return to “Upcoming event?!?”